From:
Kirk Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:25:25 -0400
>I am interested in making bees wax candles from the wax rendered in my
>solar wax melter.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to colour the wax
>(red, green, etc).  Is there a standard reference for candle making that
>would answer this question?  Thanks for your help.
>
>Rob Young
Dear Rob,
   I have ben making hand dipped beeswax tapers for many years and I wonder
what kind of candle you wish to make. I dip mine in the natural till size
and then dip into a colored wax mixture which is dyed with candle dye I
think it makes a better burning candle. If you are making a pillar you will
have to experiment starting with a smaller amount of dye and increasing
till you get the shade you want.  The companies that sell dyes do specify
amounts of wax to dye, but in my experience it takes more for beeswax
because of the golden color then for parafin which is what they are
reccomending about. I did dye some sheets a while back and just haven't
gotten around to burning them yet. Hope this helps. Sharon

*Kirk Jones/ Sleeping Bear Apiaries /971 S. Pioneer Rd./Beulah,MI 49617
*Sharon Jones/ BeeDazzled Candleworks /6289 River Rd./ Benzonia, MI 49616
                        e-mail   [log in to unmask]