From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 02:23:03 -0600
> I don't know what all this fuss is about. This list is wonderful
> precisely because it is so active. I belong to several other academic
> lists that go completely dead from time to time and |I get a real buzz
> out of switching on my email in the morning and seeing 30 new messages
> from bee-L. Even if some of them are boring or irrelevant, it takes very
> little time to delete them. I agree with Ted about having an unpoliced
> list. Penny Munn Lancashire/ Scotland
>  ----------
> * From: Ted F. Wout
> * To: [log in to unmask]
> * Date: 24 February 1998 21:30
> *
> * Allen Dick wrote:
> * >Just because this is a discussion group doesn't mean nettiquette and
> * good
> * >sense and consideration do not apply.  The right to do something does
> * not
> * >imply that it is wise or right, only that we can do it.  Liberty
> demands
> * >that we exercise discretion.  The owners of this list permit us to do
> * >stupid things.  It is up to us not to do them.
> * Well said and I agree completely.
> *
> * >Best of Bee (only one year old)  now has *500 subscribers* -- almost
> * fully
> * >62% of BEE-L membership and it is growing fast as a percentage of the
> * >BEE-L figure.  It is overtaking BEE-L.  I expect it may well surpass
> * BEE-L
> * >within a year -- if nothing changes.  Ie. unless BEE-L gets
> moderation.
> * Here I differ with you Allen, Bee-L has moderation it's called Best of
> * Bee.  Those who want it can use it.  Many do.  But those who want to
> wade
> * through the muck and the flames are also welcome to do so.  Just like
> we
> * have the freedom and should be responsible not to abuse it we have the
> * freedom to read through it all.  We don't need involuntary topic
> police
> * to prevent us from having some excessive mail.  We have an
> alternative.
> * Freedom of choice.  I love it.  It's what my father jumped ship in
> * Hoboken, New Jersey for in 1956.
> *
> * >500 Best of Bee readers (former BEE-L members) cannot be wrong when
> they
> * >say 'We don't need that stuff' and signoff or nomail bee-l in favour
> of
> * >Best of Bee.
> * They're not wrong for making the choice just as those who read it all
> are
> * not wrong.
> *
> * >Send email to [log in to unmask] saying join bestofbee
> * ...if you want to cut the muck and the flames out of your email.  If
> you
> [...]

It's obvious that neither of those quoted above actually read and
understood my posts on the topic.

I did *not* advocate what they apparently think.  They are arguing with a
straw man of their own creation.

However, I think most list members do understand.  If the above members
request a log to find out what I actually did say, they may understand
better the need for self-discipline or imposed limits to quoting.

I must express my appreciation.  'P Munn' illustrates my point better than
I could have. See all the jumbled -- and mostly irrelevant -- quotes
above.

Thanks.

Allen
---
Think you missed something?  Wondering exactly what was happening on BEE-L?
Simply send email to [log in to unmask] saying
SEND BEE-L LOG9801A You'll get the full proceedings of the week.
In this example A = first week, 01 = Jan, 98 = 1998
Logs are available back to 1994 or so