Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kathy Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 16:46:11 -0500
I appeal to the wisdom of the list(s);
A quick search on deja news yielded nothing substantial on this subject.

We  need info (please?) from beekeepers in harsh winter climates who are
currently and have successfully over the years "harvested" bees from
colonies during the winter for people who are currently using
apitherapy.

What we'd like to know is: What is your prefered method for removal?  Do
you entice the bees to the inner cover on a warm day and collect there?
If so, what is your "warm day" threshhold? freezing? 40 F? Do you
actually open the box and scoop from a frame, even though that may cause
them to break cluster?  Do you use the same colony(s) all winter or do
you spread the risk to many colonies?  To what extent have you
experienced colony winter mortality to change?  Do you take any
additional steps to mitigate the effect bee removal has had on the
colony(s) all winter, like candy boards &/or pollen substitute?
How many bees are you harvesting each winter and for how many different
people?  Do you enter into any sort of agreement with your customer
like: if the hive(s) die(s), you pay for the replacement package, queen,
or whatever?  Or do you include the cost of replacement  in the price
you charge for the bees?  Have I  forgotten to ask something important?

We've been supplying bees to people all summer who can't afford to pay
the shipping for bees to come all winter from southern beekeepers who
are providing this service.  Since we are still growing our operation,
we really don't want to sacrifice our potential spring splits, don't
really want to buy packages, and don't really want to say no to these
people.

Any advice will be useful,
Thanks in advance,
Kathy