From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 02:52:00 +1300
> Do honeybee's play any part in that "sex life" in your area?
>
> Do beekeepers your area seek out growers to place bees in their groves or
> is it the other way around?

For the most part it is the latter - growers will pay to have bees
brought into the groves for pollination.  The polln fees are not so
high as for kiwifruit, which flowers shortly afterward, but still
very welcome to many.

The most audacious of polln bkprs place hives into avocados with the
hopes that the flowering will be over soon enough to place the same
units into kiwifruit.  Lots of worry, as you're pretty much hoping
one flowering will be early and one late...

But the hives at least come out of avocados in good condition, so it
can be done in some seasons.

I haven't tasted any select source honey here, but I have tasted
Californian avocado honey.  Let me be polite and say it isn't one of
my favourites.  I expect ours is equally 'pleasant'...

  (\           Nick Wallingford
 {|||8-        home [log in to unmask]
  (/           work [log in to unmask]
NZ Beekeeping  http://www.beekeeping.co.nz