From:
Greg Hankins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 09:45:31 -0400
This being my first Autumn as a beekeeper, I'm, naturally, thinking about
expanding my 3-hive (2 two-deeps Langs; 1 TBH) apiary next year (without
buying packages). I've read many many books and followed this list for a
year now. I've also watched the bloom locally and watched my bees. Here's
what I'm thinking -- and I be grateful for input (there's equipment to
build/buy!)

Any increase made from splitting the existing hives risks some loss of
honey production.

Bloom here seems to start in early spring with a variety of build-up pollen
and nectar sources. First real significant flush is blackberry in late
April, followed immediately by tulip poplar through mid-May. The clovers
then come in, but, because I live in a most wooded rather than pastured or
lawned part of the world (with acid soil) the clovers aren't great here for
surplus. Then comes sourwood in early-to-mid June, which I want to be in
shape to try for, though it is by nature a chancy thing. Finally, this year
there was an enormous amount of sumac and goldenrod in the drought of
august from which I had a nice surplus of very good deep yellow honey.

My thinking is I should feed to stimulate brood-rearing in advance of the
blackberry and tulip poplar flows, harvest any surplus once the flow is
over, do splits (using purchased queens) during the lull before sourwood,
feed like crazy to try to build up for the sourwood, and definitely have
populations rebuilt for the late sumac and golderod.

I'm probably risking the sourwood (if there is any) with this strategy.

Sorry for the length of the post, but I've tried to do some homework ahead
of time and now need some advice from those with more experience.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Hankins                       Mt. Gilead, NC