Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 23:33:10 -0400
>>In the two years since the Africanized honeybee first hitched a ride into
California aboard a pipe truck in 1995, the sprawling 4,000 square miles
of Imperial County on the Mexican border have become completely
colonized.

Within a year, the bee has made inroads into Riverside and San Diego
counties and is poised to leap into Los Angeles and Orange counties.<<

I live outside of a little town south of Dallas, TX called Red Oak.  It is
about 20-25 miles south of Dallas.  I was told by more than one person that
AHB were discovered on the Red Oak water tower and that I shouldn't keep
bees anymore.  Also, I am told that this scare happened in the span of 24
hours, i.e. the bees were discovered and confirmed AHB in 24 hours.  Is
that possible?  I thought that some involved testing had to be done and
that they would have to be sent somewhere(Beltsville?) for confirmation.

If this in fact was an AHB hive then this is the farthest north AHB bees
have been found in Texas.  I'm more afraid of the rules and regulations
that come with AHB then I am of the bees themselves.  I have been told that
there is a quarantine on my county.  I'm not allowed to move bees out of
the county, AHB or not.

This is all hearsay and I don't even know where to confirm it.  Anyone else
hear about this?  Neighbors are not as understanding about my beekeeping as
they once were.

Ted Wout
Red Oak, TX, USA