From:
Robert Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 23:34:09 +0800
An alternative method to scorching or fumigation for AFB materials that is
used in Australia is treatment with irradiation. The brood boxes, supers,
extracted honey combs, lids, bottoms, excluders, etc can all be treated
this way. There is no necessity to remove wax and propolis buildup. The
method is quick and inexpensive and 100% effective against AFB and other
disease organisms. The irradiation used is the same as that for medical and
other sterile equipment treatments. Beekeepers buying second hand gear use
this treatment before introducing it to the apiaries as a preventative
measure. It also enables those beekeepers who are affected with AFB to
clean up their apiary with minimal disruption to their business. Terramycin
treatment is currently prohibited for AFB in all mainland states although
it used via authorised prescription for EFB.