From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:48:54 -0700
Computer Software Solutions Ltd wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I bought some secondhand equipment when I was starting off earlier this
> year, and I was advised by an experienced beekeeper that it would be ok if I
> scraped it thoroughly and then played a blow lamp all over it to kill any
> disease.
>
> Is this a safe course of action? - (I hope so!)

If blow lamp is a blow torch- a flame producing torch, then OK, but you
have to get into every nook and cranny to do the job right if you
suspect AFB.
I bought second hand equipment and ended up burning everything because
it had American Foulbrood. Learned that you should suspect the worst if
the frames have been "cleaned up" so no brood comb is present, because
if it is, you can spot AFB, if you are experienced.
If all the frames were scraped clean, I would get rid of them and start
fresh, The cost is small compared to having to burn them later. Torch
the inside of the boxes. You can do it with a torch or "chimney fire",
which is exciting. I used the chimney fire method, but won't reccommend
it on this list because it is dangerous if done incorrectly. Your
experienced beekeeper should know how and can help.
If the frames had brood comb and your friend inspected them, then
scraping and a little torching should be fine. AFB is the real bad guy
to look for. The rest you can live with.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME