From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 17:18:06 -0500
A couple of weeks ago I transferred a colony (fairly recent swarm) from a
firewood-box to frames using rubber bands.

The only complications were:  1- the combs had been built with small pieces
of logs/firewood still in the box, so they were in-between and underneath
some of the wood.  2 - there had been a pretty good honey flow up to that
time, so lots of the comb had capped and uncapped honey in them, and 3 - it
was a hot day, so even in the shade of the porch, it was hard to handle the
fragile white combs.  They were very soft from the heat already.

I cut up the brood-combs into roughly hand-size chunks and fit them into
some empty deep frames, as best I could.  Sort of like a
capped-brood-jigsaw puzzle.  Over each frame went 5 or 6 rubber bands to
hold the comb in and together.

In short, within a few days the bees had begun re-connecting the pieces of
comb securely together, the brood continued to hatch, and spaces left in
the frame were filled with  new comb.  These hodgepodge combs will have to
be replaced, of course, but it got them established in the hive, and
ensured that a good portion of the brood was not wasted.

Oh - the bees eventually chew through the rubber bands and dump them
outside the entrance.  By then the combs are all repaired and patched
together.

Best regards,

J. Govostes
Freeville, NY