HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 31 May 1998 14:50:51 +0100
On Sun, 31 May 1998, Dr Robert Victor Johannes Varman wrote:

> Yes, I must admit that many Europeans are against or slow toward the
> Internet and related technology. Perhaps it is the Europeans in Australia
> that are more open to trying new technology.

I can quite happily disagree with the above statement - especially as
I've spent the last few days entering data from a survey (undertaken
by the Archaeology Data Service) of British and Irish archaeologists
on their attitudes towards and use of digital data.  With the
exception of a few anti-internet diehards (most of whom are located in
the few remaining Tory parts of Britain.  Hmmmm), the vast majority
appear to not simply be receptive, but actively encouraging use of the
internet and digital data.  On top of that, off the top of my head I
can think of two internet-only academic journals (Internet Archaeology
and Assemblage) based in Yorkshire alone.

Alasdair Brooks
University of York