HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:56:33 GMT
On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 08:14:59 -0500 Carl Steen wrote:

> To add my two cents worth of random observations and questions:
>
> First, I can't think of a single example of a rural privy on 17th-mid-19th
> century sites in SC. I think that the nearby woods were used.

I can't speak for the Carolinas, but there are at least two, standing, original,
early-19th century Thomas Jefferson-designed and indisputably rural
privies at Poplar Forest in central Virginia.

If I remember correctly, however, neither "necessary" has a privy pit, which -
one would think - rather obviates the possibility of finding a chamber pot
therein (Barbara might want to correct me here).

Alasdair Brooks
University of York