HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Homer Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 09:48:47 MST
Before making assumptions about body positioning using head and foot stones, one
 might consider whether these have been moved at some time. Burials were frequen
tly exhumed and moved, for various reasons. As an example, Tucson's first three
cemeteries were later built over. Some bodies were moved, others were not. Some
of the burials in Evergreen Cemetery have been moved twice. In other cases, ston
es are repositioned when the cemetery is cleaned up.

On another note, the Catholic Cemetery in Tucson removed (with a bulldozer) all
of the "unsightly" grave markers made by local Mexican-American and Native-Ameri
can families last week. These were handmade markers made of wood, concrete, or s
tone- many of which dated back to the 1930s. I called and talked with the head o
f the cemetery to voice my opinions on the matter. He was surprised at the anger
 many of the families and community members had over the "renovation."