From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 09:43:45 -0700
Bruce Hamilton wrote:
  I was away
> for about 5 weeks and when I can back my only active hives were my
> original ones.  When I examined the empthy hives I notices wax moth
> larve and some type of spider web material.  My other 3 hives are quite well.
> Question:  Are newly established swarms more suseptable to the wax
> moth?

Hi Bruce,
        A normal colony will not be overcome by waxmoth, the bees will guard
against them. When a colony fails for any reason the moths quickly move
in. I have occasionaly seen moth damage in a hive while there are still
bees but so few bees that they cannot defend the colony. These colonies
are on the way out anyway, failing from an abnormal condition.