From:
Tom Harker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 23:32:11 -0400

<<         Also this year due to the dry August the jewelweed (see
Impatiens_capensisis
 http://chili.rt66.com/hrbmoore/Images/H-L/Impatiens_capensis-2.jpg) is in
full bloom now. It
 seems to be a very attractive source. When watching the hive entrace I see
many bees entering
 with their backs powdered with the white pollen. The plants have numerous
bees and bumblebees
 collecting nectar.

         The flower of jewelweed in not structured for easy access for honey
bees. Bumblebees
 have a longer tongue and can access the nectar inside the flower. What is
interesting is that
 most honey bees access the nectar from outside the flower. The tapered end
gets punctured at
 some point and this provides easy access to the flower. I don't know if it
is the honey bee
 that causes the puncture. I'm assume it is cause by the bumblebee's tongue
as the flower get
 older.

Thanks for identifying the weed that has taken over our bee yard.  I am on 3
acres in northern Illinois with a creek running through the property.

Jewel Weed (Impatiens pallida) is the most common weed that I am constantly
pulling from between my raspberry plants.

The bumble bees have been quite busy with it this fall and I also see my
honey bees visting it but not as often.   I have one hive of Italians and one
hive of dark honey bees which are slightly smaller and more productive.  I
see the dark bees in the jewel weed more than the Italians.

Both hives are first year starts from 2 lb. packages on bare foundation.  I
have not seen much honey gain on either since I robbed them in early August.

I am quite interested in your Jewel Weed findings since it is quite prolific
here.

Thanks,

Tom Harker
(1st year beekeeper, 2nd time around)