From:
Lawrence Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 1997 14:54:49 -0600
Charles Hatton wrote:

> We took about 100 lbs of honey from our hive this week.  It is our
> first hive and it is only four months old.  We put the bees in four
> months ago and added a super every three weeks.  We now have four
> supers.  When we brushed the bees off the frames to take the honey,
> hundreds of (if not a thousand) bees fell on ground and seemed not to
> fly.  They stayed on the ground until they died a day or so later.

> Could they be sick from something?  We saw a little red bug in the
> hive.  We heard that most hives get some kind of mites.  Does it sound
> like we have mites?  If so, what do we do to get rid of them.
>
> Charles & Charley

I am a beekeeper of two seasons. There are a lot of old timers a on this
list that could answer this better but I have done some homework..The
common practice is to give a frame of bees a good shake over the top of
an open hive or in front of it to remove bees.If I use a brush at all it
is just to flick of the remaining few.Brushing can damage bees.
You may have some diseases problem perhaps a more experienced beekeeper
could tell from what information you gave.
The mite that  you are hearing about is called the Varroa mite and is
treated with Apistan
strips. There is another mite that is controlled by using Terramycin
grease patties it is the oil in the patties that prevents there spread.
The Terramycin controls foul brood. No medication should be given during
honey flow..
 Good luck
                    Lawrence Cooke