HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
john hyett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:39:28 -0800
For my honours thesis I am investigating a 20th C blacksmith's shop in
the small rural community of Strathbogie in Victoria, Australia. Built
in 1895 and worked until mid 1970's it remains as an almost intact
example of a rural blacksmith's shop.
         I am unable to find any references to 20th C blacksmithing in the
literature other than  a paper presented to the SHA in Cincinnati in
1995 by M A Harmon but I have so far been unable to obtain a copy of
this. I have, of course, J D Light's various papers on the archaeology
of blacksmith's shops, but  would be grateful if anybody could help with
references for more modern material.
        Also of interest is the use of water cooling on the tuyere, a practice
that seems common through the area in farm forges but rates no mention
in any of the north american literature either archaeological or modern.
I have found one reference to this procedure in a 1950's English text so
presume it could be an British invention post American independance.

John Hyett
Honours
School of Archaeology
La Trobe University