HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Mouer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:33:08 -0500
About 3 or 4 years ago my colleagues and I uncovered several drop pits and other
associated parts of a huge round table complex in Petersburg Virginia. It was
constructed just prior to the Civil War and was expanded substantially right aft
er
the war. This was a "Phase 1" identification survey for the Virginia Department
of
Transportation. I recommended a "Phase 2" evaluation which did not require any
additional archaeological work--we had sufficient data from the ground--but whic
would have focused on reviewing the literature of railroad archaeology and
constructing a context against which to evaluate this feature. Petersburg was a
hub of five rail systems and, for that reason, was besieged and bombarded for an
entire year during the Civil war.

The VDOT archaeologist told me I was "crazy" for suggesting the need for even a
phase 2 study, because there was no way that site would be deemed eligible for t
he
NR or worthy of further study. Of course this same archaeologist suggested that
the various 18th-century layers, foundations, cellars, yards, wells and other
features we found lying stratified beneath various 19th and 20th-century layers
were also unlikely to be significant since they were "disturbed" by overlying
strata. This is one reason I don't do contract archaeology anymore.

--
Dan Mouer
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology