HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Rutherford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 20:22:10 GMT
>I am currently working on a turn of the century cemetery site in
>central Pennsylvania and I was wondering if anyone knew of/or had any
>articles or books on the chronology of coffin construction and
>hardware? I am interested in confirming the dates of the burials and
>possibly studying the status of the individuals buried there.  Thank
>you!
>
>Pam Richardson
>Lab Director, Archaeological and Historical Consultants

Pam,
People that are buried in grave yards generaly have been carried out by the
local funeral director, more so in the early days.

He him self would have made the coffins, but now there are coffin factories
with designs going back to when they started.

The design of coffins may give you an idea of status as well as the religion
of the deceased.

The style of the name plate also gives you imformation about the body i,e
age ,date of death etc.

Start by talking to the funeral directors of the that area and glean what
history from them.
I work in a mortuary at present so it would be interesting with what you find?

Stephen.