HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Trinkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:40:38 EST
While I doubt that I have anything to add to David's interesting series of
questions, and I can understand how they may make some feel uncomfortable (for
any variety of reasons, not all having to do with any unethical behavior on
their part), I can't understand the controversy -- respond if you wish, ignore
it otherwise. "Rage" or no rage, if the questions result in meaningful
conclusions, the process will probably be interesting. If there is no
meaningful conclusion, then everyone can simply ignore it.

But, it might do all of us involved in federal historic preservation good to
periodically reread (and contemplate the meaning of) 18 U.S.C. 1001:

"Whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of
the United States knowingly and willfully falsifies, conceals or covers up by
any trick, scheme, or device a material fact, or makes any false, fictitious
or fraudulent statements or representations, or makes or uses any false
writing or document knowing the same to contain any false, fictitious or
fraudulent statement or entry, shall be fined not more than $10,000 or
imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

Best,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.