HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Joel Gutierrez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:15:49 -0700
To reply to the ideas conveyed in previous e-mail, I would like to point
out the other side of the Irish immigrants in America.  Not ALL Irish
were drunken brawlers just as most Mexicans were not.  I believe that due
to the ethnic biases that were running rampant in the period in question
and there after has clouded the archaeological data.  And like others
have stated, a pursuasive writer or orator can make anything sound good.
Look at the effects on the German people when an exciting, animated
speaker named Adolf Hitler spoke on the negitive effects that Jews, gays,
Gypsies, and other groups had on the German economic situation.
        Irish immigrants left their homes across the Atlantic in search
of a better life.  After religious persecution and famine, many decided
that America was the best choice to begin a new life.  Scores of Irish
immigrants moved west to tame the prarie, others yet fought in OUR army
in such conflicts as the Civil War and the Mexican/American War (not
necessarily in that order).  If I had one wish in life it would be to
grant the human RACE to figure out that differences between ethnic groups
is and always has been obsolete.  I know that this will never happen, but
it would help if people of influence over data, such as historians and
archaeologists would stop bickering over who did what and who is right
and wrong.  Stop fighting each other and to quote my mom's favorite
saying: "If you don't have something nice to say, shut up."  I would like
to add my own favorite saying:  "Do unto others' past as you would have
done to yours."  Just grow up and help each other out in the opening of
OUR past.  Thankyou for your time.
        Joel C. Gutierrez-Colorado State University Undergraduate