HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Cindy Riskin (S&T Onsite)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 10:03:38 -0700
Not to obfuscate, but domestic ferrets ARE Northern European and/or
Siberian polecats, domesticated (as Stanley said) around 3,000 years ago
(check out ancient Egyptian art of ferrets) for hunting rabbits
(lagomorphs) and rodents.

The strains brought over from England (I have no further info here;
sorry) have been found to be shorter-lived than the ones still kept as
pets in Europe. Veterinarians have found no dietary or "lifestyle" cause
for this shorter lifespan. But probably the only ones who care about
this kind of trivia are Stanley and me (and our combined 12 ferrets).
Cindy