From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:02:38 -0500
Dr. Ben Underwood studied the natural history of A. laboriosa in Nepal, as
his master's degree project at Cornell.  That was in early 80's, when he
was working with Roger Morse.  His thesis might be available for your
parousal through inter-library loan or something.  It is a very interesting
study, covering biology, taxonomy, and distribution of those largest honey
bees.

He also describes the local traditions of honey-hunting with A. laboriosa,
how it ties in with the native culture, religion, etc.  The nests are
harvested from cliff-sides and both honey and brood consumed.  The large,
single comb nests are destroyed, although I have seen photos of dorsata
nests inside shelters, where "management" possibilities were under study.

The bibliography in Underwood's thesis would provide many references to the
species, though in the literature there has been more or less distinction
between laboriosa and the more widespread dorsata.

There was also a National Geographic (I think) piece on the Nepalese
honey-hunters a few years back, following Dr. Underwood's work. Maybe you
can find a reference on the Net...