From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 07:43:39 -0600
> I heard recently that hive ventilation is most important and that the
> hives should be properly ventilated even if this means that a strong
> current of air is blowing through them.

Ventilation is important, however too much can be as bad as too little,
since it results in wasted feed and stress on the bees.

> I was also told that when the Autumn (Fall) feeding is over, that I
> should raise the crown boards slightly with match sticks to give
> additional ventilation.

This is practised in some areas to ensure moisture does not accumulate.
What works best will depend on your local conditions and winter humidity.
Shelter from winds can be important for survival, and sometimes insulation
will add a greater degree of certainty as well.

We use an auger hole in the upper box or a small slit in the front of the
top cover in winter, however we are in a very dry area.

Best advice is to consult several beekeepers *in your own locality* who
have had sucess *over the years* and adopt whichever practice seems to
balance survival and effort.

Since this question has been discussed in the past a bit, you can check
the BEE-L archives by sending email to
saying
SEARCH BEE-L ventilation
for more information.