From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 08:42:33 -0500
Some Euro beekeepers use a fork-like tool to uncap combs, instead of using
a hot knife or plane.

The tool is similar to a cappings-scratcher, but bigger & with with longer
tines, which I think are slightly angled.  The cappings apparently are
lifted off the surface of the combs instead of being sliced off.

Is there any particular advantage to this, over an inexpensive knife or
plane, or even a cold serrated knife?

From pictures I have seen of this, the cappings come off the combs much
dryer than with a knife, but it must require much more handling and time to
remove them with a fork(? -- several swipes per comb).

just wondering...

cheers,

jg