From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:58:42 +0900
>I'm not sure if I am recalling the correct device, but --
>
>The board is a piece of wood sloping to the ground, which is set up in
>front of the hive.  It is positioned to leave a few inches-gap between it
>and the hive entrance.  The bees are then shaken off the combs at the base
>of the board.  When they run up its surface, the older bees go straight
>across the gap into the hive, but the younger bees (and queen?) end up
>clustering at the edge of the board, like a swarm.  Then they can be taken
>away and hived elsewhere.
>Or that is the jist of it, I think.  Can anyone elaborate?

Do not know anything about a Taranov board but from above description would
not recommend this to a beginner as I think there are too many possibilities
for losing the queen.

I recommend reading L.E. Snelgrove's book on Swarming - its control and
prevention.  It was written in 1934 but the principles are still valid.
It is not necessary to locate or handle the queen as if she is not with the
brood separated from the rest of the bees, this will quickly become apparent.
The book includes diagrams of the various hive splitting devices to enable a
hive to be maintained at full strength without swarming.

When attempting swarm control measures, I find the following worth remembering.

"To prevent swarming, separate the queen (and any potential queens) from the
field bees until swarming mode is over."

Once you understand your objective, there are a number of ways to go about
achieving this.

Betty McAdam

HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island