From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:41:25 -0700
My reference to "binding chunks of brood comb into frames" had to do with the technique yiou describe.  We're challenged by the idea of preserving the form of the nest, and a little bit interested in the idea of top bar hives.  If it gets too complicated we'll fall back to the method you describe.
Michael
------------
                                                                    ... an ambitious plan
to try to preserve the colony as much as possible in its original form
rather than binding chunks of brood comb into frames.   Our current
thinking is that we can build a modified top bar hive and transfer the
existing comb from the branch to the top bars..

----------

You don't have to go to so much trouble.  Just get some cotton cord similar
to butchers cord.  Cut some brood comb to fit inside a frame.  While
holding the cut comb in the frame, wrap frame and comb, top to bottom
several times and tie it off.
The bees will attach the comb and remove the cord.  They seem to hate
having it in their nest.  Find the queen ASAP cage her and put her in the
new hive.  The sooner you catch her,  the sooner the bees will start moving
in. Remove all remnants of the nest and if you have it soak it with honey
robber or bee go.

If you find the queen and get her in the hive, it is time for a little PR.
Pick an good spot on the ground nearby spread a white sheet.  Have the
cherry picker operator lower you to that spot.  Make it slow enough that
the bees can leave a scent trail.  Then place the hive on the ground and
allow the bees to scent their sisters into the hive.  Once this process has
started,  remove veil and gloves and explain the process to the crowd you
are sure to draw.  If the bees are completely calm,  stand very close to
the hive to one side while explaining. It there is a TV or newspaper
photographer nearby, invite them to get close shots.  the bees stand out
nicely against the white sheet.

Frank Humphrey