From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 21:28:02 +0900
We use a rigid frame attachment with two forks at the base manufactured by
an Australian engineering firm,Parker Engineering.  This is used in
conjunction with a hydraulic lifting crane manufactured for farmers.  We can
lift hives 3 or 4 boxes high and position them on the truck with no manual
lifting required.  The equipment can be operated by one person.  When
putting hives down it is necessary to choose reasonably flat ground.  The
cost of the hydraulic crane was $2000 Australian and the frame, if I
remember correctly, about $110 Australian.
The crane has sufficient capacity to lift full 44 gallon drums of honey.

When putting hives down we put down the hives in groups of 3 before moving
the truck a little further for the next group.

So far we have not discovered any snakes under the hives when we pick them up!

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]