From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:13:12 EDT
> From:         Faith Andrews Bedford <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: Apistan
> To:           [log in to unmask]

> Problem: Beekeepers are putting in Apistan strips and finding that
> they are not working.  After three weeks in the hive, ether rolls are
> stil indicating high mite infestations.

I hope this doesn't bode fluvalinate resistant mites in Florida.
Resistant strains of varroa has been the forewarned result of misuse of
Apistan.  Without casting unsubstantiated accusations at any one
particular beekeeper, I have heard rumors that it is not uncommon to use
Apistan in a manner not consistant with label instructions in the south
eastern most state in the continental United States.  (I hope I put that
in the proper politically correct, non offensive to everyone in the
world manner - Sheesh! it's become impossible to converse in these
times!).

> Observations:  The strips that are being put in seem different,
> stiffer, a darker color, less flexible.

Has the formulation changed?  Comment requested from Sandoz (I know they
aren't Sandoz anymore, but I forget their new name - Sheesh again!).
Perhaps there was a bad batch that made it past quality control?
Have the stips been stored properly?  Has the expiration date passed?
Correspondence with the vendor, including lot number of batch in
question would seem appropriate.

> Trial solution:  Take a hacksaw blade, draw it across the surface of
> the strips and reinsert them in the hive.

Modifications such as this seem to me to be similar to the attempts made
to reuse strips by scratching their surface to "activate" more pyrethin.
Such attempts were strongly condemned by the manufacturer.

> This solution seemed to do the trick for, when ether rolls were done
> after reinsertion of these "rasped" strips the mite count was way
> down quite quickly.

However, such modifications may also be delivering other than the vendor
intended amount of treatment to the bees, which may in turn hasten the
day when Apistan resistance arrives.  Use of the product contrary to
label instructions voids all bets.

> Word is that people don't want to question the efficacy of the strips
> lest the EPA get word that someting is amiss.   The thinking is that
> people "don't want to talk about" this problem.  something like we
> might lose the only treatment we have for the mites if it is
> discovered to be ineffective...

Not talking about a problem won't solve it or make it go away.  It seems
to me that this problem SHOULD be brought to the attention of people in
a position to determine its cause.  Incidently, posting the problem on
this forum has let the cat out of the bag!  I don't know that EPA needs
to be brought in on this at this time, and methinks that too much money
is being made to pull the only sanctioned treatment from the market, but
minimally as a first step the vendor should be made aware that their
product is not working as advertised, at least in the Tampa Bay area.

> Anyone else had similar problems? ....
Fortunately I have not, nor have I heard of anything similar from any
members of the Southern Adirondack Beekeepers Association.  I hope it's
an isolated incident.  However if this is yet another occurence of
Apistan resistance (something we have been led to expect), it only
ups the incentive to find alternatives.  This is all the more reason
to make this problem known rather than not talking about it.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!