From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 22:03:46 +0900
>I hived my first swarm 10 days ago onto foundation. Found the queen a day
>later. Did a quick inspection yesterday, Bees drawing comb nicely, no
>eggs or larvae yet, but I was surprised to see two 'play cell' queen
>cells.
>
>Is this normal, or is it that I got a virgin queen and she hasn't mated
>yet, but why the started queen cells ?

Hived swarms will normally start the queen laying within 3 days if there is
a good nectar flow, as is usual during swarming season.  If you do not have
eggs after 10 days I would suspect the queen needs replacement.  Mating
flights occur from 3 to 8 days after emerging and if the queen does not
start laying shortly thereafter I understand she is unable to lay due to
spermal fluid (?) setting hard in the egg laying apparatus.   A virgin queen
will be short and extremely active on the combs.  A laying queen,
particularly a mature queen, moves deliberately and may have a tattered
appearance.  I recommend requeening with a queen of the desired species from
a reputable breeder, before the hive loses too much strength.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]