From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 14:02:36 -0600
> > if possible wash the gloves when changing "hive-working"

No commercial beekeeper worries about any such thing.  Gloves and suits get
stored however is convenient, and washed as needed.

I'm afraid we are starting get really a long way from realistic and
practical advise and discussion, and into conjecture.

FWIW, there is no reason in the world to wash out an extractor between uses
unless something besides clean honey and wax are in there.   Any (hopefully
few) bees and larvae are likely pretty well candied by the honey, and
besides,  most everything drains out anyhow.  I don't know anyone who
washes out *honeycomb* between uses, and i fail to see how this is
different.

The only real concerns are:
1. granulation which could result in reduced capacity and
2. seeding of the next honey put through and
3. the question of whether metals migrate into the honey coating the
extractor over time.

This latter is worth some thought.  The seams of some extractors --
including older stainless ones have lead solder, and the tolerance for lead
in food is 0.0000000...%

For this reason, the honey that coats the extractor and the wash water
should probably not go for human consumption.  This is more a reason to not
wash too often than to wash daily.  IMO, anyhow.

Allen