From:
RICHARD BARNES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 01:52:38 -0500
Fellow Bee-Lers

I just extracted 8 supers from 3 hives that have been on wild flowers and
black berries.  I was surprised to see an extremely light honey.  The honey
was lighter yellow than a manilla (sp.?) envelope.  Usually our honey is a
golden brown not the light yellow color.  The honey is also a milder flavor.
Greater than 90% of the cells were capped so I figure the moisture was right.

We have had a really mild winter an a  pretty wet spring this year.  Could
the extra rain have made the difference?  On the blackberries, I am talking
5-7 shades lighter.  I don't know the color grading system so I will use
something as visual as possible.  Blackberry honey is usually the color of
wood with a light walnut stain, but this year the honey is the color of pine
with a clear varnish.  No brown shade only the yellow to nearly clear/white.

Other beekeepers in the area are seeing the same on wildflowers.  Many of
the local buyers like the darker honey because they like the stronger taste.
No supply of dark so far this year only the light colored stuff.

Any comments will be passed on at the next SW Oklahoma Beekeeper's
Association  meeting.

Richard Barnes