From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:30:00 -0400
Allen Dick asked how we manage to feed supplements and if we have a problem
with competition from natural pollens that result in wastage.

Firstly, from the thread on Bee-L, I think there needs to be the distinction
made between supplements and substitutes.  We know from work that if there is
no natural pollen then feeding as a substitute will be alright for say two
rounds of brood but after that it can be deadly.

We tend to use supplements.  This is where there is natural pollen but either
it is not enough or bad weather intervenes and stops collection or the
pollen they are collecting is deficient in either one or more of the amino
acids.

I mentioned before that some of our pollens are deficient in iso-leucine.  The
other amino acid that can be deficient in methionine.  We tend to use expeller
soya flour as a supplement.  It is interesting to note that if you feed soya
in a top feeder the bees do not take much but put it out in the open and they
will be all over it.

One person here in Australia has developed a patty using soya, torula yeast,
irradiated pollen and irradiated honey.  These are feed to the colonies by
placing them in the brood nest.  The reason the pollen and honey are
irradiated is to get rid of nasties like chalkbrood and AFB.

The theory is that, if say a pollen is deficient in iso-leucine, then the bee
has to cunsume a lot more pollen to get the amount of iso-leucine necessary.
By feeding a supplement like soya which is high in iso-leucine (i.e. it is
above De Groots ideal ratio), then this will raise the level of iso-leucine
so that the bee will not have to consume as much pollen.

You might ask what happens to the rest of the amino acids that are consumed in
excess.  We are told this is excreted.  So we see it as not wasting pollen but
actually helping extend the pollen being colleceted.

On the bee side, we know from research that there can a raising of the level
of the bee's body protein by supplementary feeding when pollens, that are
deficient, are being collected.

There have been trials carried out in Australia on the palability of various
supplements and substitutes.  We have information from a pilot trial that
indicates that looking after the nutrition side may help in preventing hives
from getting EFB, which after all is a stress related disease.

Anyway, I think we now realise that nutrition is far more important that we
have previously realised.  We in Australia are putting more money into
research in this field as the diminishing floral resource means we have to get
smarter in managing our colonies.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA