From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 07:54:39 +0000
Aaron Morris wrote:

> > Date:    Thu, 19 Jun 1997 17:10:20 EDT
> > From:    Leigh Wiley <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: <none>
> >
> > I tried using mineral oil on my bees and was surprised by 1) the
> > uproar it caused ( it appeared to disrupt the hives for the rest of
> > the day), and 2) the several dozen dead bees on the bottom boards 1/2
> > hour later!  I was really concerned that I might have done in the queen
> > but it appears that the ones that died were the ones hit directly by the
> > oil as I applied it. Still I have some concerns about using oil for this
> > reason. I used a honey bear squeeze jar to apply but perhaps the hole
> > was too big? The mineral oil was labled as being for "intestinal use".
> > Any suggestions?
> >

> Forgive my tirade, but when I read of some half cocked application
> offing ones' bees as warned, I get upset!

You may want to check back over the words that Dr R. did say to this list, " At present,
oil is applied from a bottle (similar to a honey bear) with a spout with an opening of 1/16"
diameter." It may well be a half cocked idea using minerial oil in the end but Leigh is only
doing what Dr. R suggested.

> Aaron Morris - Thinking a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

And just how does one go about measuring the amount of knowledge someone has? By
the fact that they are experimenting with a "new" technique makes them have little
knowledge? Don't think so.

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey