From:
Rick Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 06:55:42 +0000
>I've learned (the hard way) that a hive of laying workers cannot be
>requeened.  Can, however,  a hive of laying workers be combined with a
>healthy hive using the neswpaper/queen excluder method, or will they
>just kill the queen once they get through the newspaper?  Has anyone
>ever tried?
>**************
>        Yes, put the healthy hive on top over a piece of newspaper with some
>slits cut into it.
>         And, yes, I have done this successfully.
>              (I guess you ought to put the laying worker colony under the
>healthy hive on the healthy hive stand. )
>Tim Sterrett

Tim,

I have also successfully combined hives this way, adding the laying worker
hive to a healthy new hive that was still building, but in this case, I put
the laying worker hive body on top of the healthy hive.  It worked just
fine.  I shook the bees out to the ground from the laying hive first, and
also scratched open all the sealed drone brood (that was in the worker comb
area).  Why did you suggest putting the healthy hive on top?

Rick Grossman
Newberg (just outside of Portland), Oregon