From:
Bill Fernihough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 04:55:16 -0700
John, it might depend on what you have the queen in, but assuming you have
her in a proper queen cage, here goes.  First, make sure there is no queen
in the hive now, otherwise the new one will be killed very soon.  If you
think there is a failing queen, or laying worker, you have to get rid of
that issue.  To do this, take your hive boxes, one by one about 100 feet
from the hive, and shake all, and I mean all the bees out on the ground.
Then take the empty boxes with the frames, back to the original position.
The regular workers will get back safely, the old queen or laying worker
probably won't.  In fact, I've great success with this approach by just
going 30 feet away.  OK, that done, or being declared unnecessary, move
some of the frames apart in about the center of the hive, so that you can
place the queen cage in there, with the screen part accessible to the bees.
 I've heard it said the screen should point downward, but before I heard
that, I point it upwards, no ill effects.
The bees will then get used to the new queen and her odor, and at the same
time, will be chewing out the candy that should be in one end of he queen
cage.  In about two days the candy will be gone, and the queen out of the
cage.  Wait about 4 days from date of introduction, go into the hive,
remove the queen cage, replace the frames, and don't do anything else.  In
about a week, look to see if there are fresh eggs and larvae.  If so all is
well with the new queen.  If not try again.