From:
Robert E Neely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 12:40:18 EDT
Dear Steve Pierce
Here in the humid warm (understatement) South, some of us have been using
one deep brood and one shallow super below the excluder. We usually have
a late fall. (First frost in mid November.) Early spring gets things
going in a hurry. Two deep broods are really not needed. This also makes
them less heavy if we have to move them. Also a split can be made with
the shallow super and a couple of deep frames to go in the center of
bottom. I also use spacer bars for nine frames in each. This allows for
easier movement up and down in the hive and better venelation.
When uncapping for extraction you find that the frames are drawn out a
little deeper and capped. An uncapping knife or machine will do a cleaner
job with few times to use a cap scratcher to open those that are
recessed.
This method may not be beneficial in a cooler climate.

Bob Neely
Goose Creek, SC USA