From:
RICHARD E BONNEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 10:10:32 -0400
Has anyone had any experience with honey bees harrassing birds in and
around bird nesting boxes?

I have had a situation described to me where this is happening. The
nesting boxes are placed to encourage bluebirds and tree swallows
in the cranberry bogs. The problem arises when the bees are brought
in for pollination.

The bees were seen to be harrassing the birds. Then later the nestlings
were found dead in the boxes. At least some of the dead nestlings had
small red lesions on them. Unfortunately, the person reporting this to me
is neither a beekeeper or an ornithologist.

I hope to get to the bogs this year while the pollinators are in and see
for myself.

I have heard from one beekeeper who says he has heard casually that bees
do harrass bluebirds. Anyone else know anything.

Regards

Dick Bonney