From:
"T.V. Fischer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 14:01:09 +0000
Steve.Reddick wrote:

> Hi all:
> I am making up some pollen substitutes Soya Flour/Brewers yeast/skim
> milk powder/sugar/water.  The recipes I have suggest this is a good way
> to deliver terramycin but no quantity is given.  There is no instruction
> on the terramycin container for mixing with Patties or Pollen Sub.
>         Does anyone know of a formula that could help me?

I have always had problems using pollen substitute patties made up in
this way, and for some time now haven't used anything.  However, this
past weekend at the Michigan Beekeeper's Association meeting, advice was
given by Mr. Jadszac (sorry if the spelling is wrong, this is from my
memory only) of the Maine Department of Agriculture (I think)
recommended putting dry pollen substitute on top of the inner cover, and
the bees took it voraciously.  This gets away from the problem of
molding and hardening pollen patties.  It was also mentioned that the
use of terramycin in these patties, if used, is a bad idea.  Terramycin
should be given either in grease patties or dry mixed with powdered
sugar.  (My experience is that the dry powdered sugar mix, if not taken
up right away, also hardens and much of the activity is wasted.)

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA