From:
Marc Sevigny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 09:22:48 -0400
Hello,

Thanks for the advice I received last week.  I had a queen who was still in
her cage one week after installation.  The advice that I took was to open up
the opening though the candy more to release her quickly.  The following day,
I opened up the hive quickly, and there was a bee in the queen cage, but I
think it was a worker, probably attracted by the scent on the queen cage, in
fact, lots of bees were tending the cage even though I suspect that she wasn't
inside, her effects are long lasting, I presume.  (This brings up the
question, when examining, I find the veil obstructs my vision greatly.  Do you
become used to it, or is that something I have to live with?

My first question is how long should I continue feeding sugar syrup?  They are
still taking in large quantities.  (I've given them over 15 lbs of sugar in
two weeks!  I never expected this hobby to be economical, but this is worse
than my chicken hobby :-)

At what point should I add the second deep frames?  I currently have my feeder
on top of my inner cover which is over the first deep.  Then I have the body
of the second deep on top of the first, with a 1 gallon feeder over the hole
in the top cover.  I was planning on putting the frames in the second deep as
soon as the frames on the bottom deep appear to be fully drawn out.  Is this
too late?  Should I put the frames in before the outermost frames are drawn
out?

I've read that the best time for opening up the hive is during the day when
most bees are foraging.  But I am usually not home until 6:00PM.  I've not
read if it is risky to open up the hive at that time, or just not optimal.
Opinions?

I've heard conflicting opinions on how often to open up the hive.  I'd like to
see what is going on often, but I don't want to upset them unnecessarily.
What is a good frequency of checking the hive wihtout become a nuisance to
them?

Lastly, what type of veil is preferred?  Is there such a thing as veils with
plexiglass over the eyes to help the viewing?  What is the name and phone
number of a company that has a catalog that I can look at and possibly order
from?

Thanks,

Marc