Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 14:50:49 -0400
Walt wrote:
>> I have been reading all the threads abour bee removal lately, and have
tried some of the methods. The sucess rate is a little slow in coming
though.  The outside type is really good, but the house removal, when the
bees are in a wall has not worked yet. I need a little help with this one.
The bees are in a wall.  Some children have thrown rocks and sticks at the
wall, making several holes in it.  Last year the owner of the property
tried to ki;ll the bees by spraying them with an insecticide.  The bees are
back. The bees are spread two wide and about four feet up the inside the
wall.  There are bees at each of the 6 or 7 entrance holes. Several houses
are close by with children in each. THE BEES MUST GO. I possibly could cut
the wall section out, but feel the honey may be contaiminated. The chances
of finding  the Queen in that maze from the wall would be pure luck. The
funnel method won't work because of the multiple entrances.  Some are not
accessible to plug up, because the bees have built comb all over  them. Ive
heard that the hive instinct is such that the bees will return from
foraging and take up again even after the bees have been.  Is there
something that will kill the bees like soap and water in a sprayer. or a
chemical that will get all  the bees. They are a hazard  to the area. <<

Why can't you use caulk to plug up all but one entrance and then use the
screen cone method?  If comb is in the way, just use a hive tool to remove
it.  Also, if these bees are this tenacious, they might be worth trying to
find the queen for.  I'd hate to see the bees killed out when they could be
saved (and making you honey!) and hived but I haven't seen the situation.
If nothing else, it would be a great adventure.  This is the kind of thing
I just can't pass up.  Wish I had this situation near me.  I'd take it on.
Of course, I've got one house removal in progress and one log full of bees
in my backyard.  I wish my job wasn't keeping me away from my hobby so
much. :)

Ted Wout
Red Oak, TX