From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 23:52:41 -0600
> > Is the inside beehive temp the same as human body Temp.  98.6 degrees F

I've been meaning to get my thermometer and check the marks on it, but as
I recall the temperature is more like 95.5 degrees +/- 0.5 degree on the
hive I measured with a calibrated high/low thermometer in the brood
area during heavy brood rearing in the summer.

I understand that individual hives may vary, but have no more info than
that.  It has been suggested that this may be a factor in the response of
different bees to mites and other diseases.  It may also account for some
of the variability in hatching times for queens from different hives.

Queen cells are usually held at 92 degrees because any incubator will
overshoot in temperature regulation, and overheating cells is much more
harmful that a bit of cooling.  (I hope some queen rearer will add to this
or correct me, if I have reached the wrong conclusions).

I would love to know more about this.  Maybe I'll do a bit more measuring
this summer.

Allen