From:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 00:19:04 +0100
At 11:22 14/04/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Ed,
>
>I have never seen bees feeding at hummingbird feedesr. Wasps and ants
>yes, but wild and honey bees, no.
>Phillipe Aras
>Carillon,Qc. Can.

Phillipe

I have just read your post on Bee-L.  I am not sure of ther context of this
letter.  I've not looked at my mail box for a week!

I was touring Arizona about 6 weeks ago. We visited the Desert Museum
outside Tuscon.  In the humming bird enclosure the feeders were all being
visited by honeybees.  About 6 on each one.  They were also on the feeders
outside the enclosure too but not so many.  A ranger in the enclosure told
us that the syrup for the hummingbirds in the enclosure contained vitamin
and protein supplements because in captivity they were unable to obtain them
otherwise.  In the wild the h.birds eat small insects.  Interestingly, the
museum is in an isolated part of the desert and the ranger was not aware of
any hives in the area.  The bees looked healthy enough.  I suppose they
would on that special diet!  If they were feral bees I wonder if their diet
is helping them survive the mites?

I'll copy this to the Bee-L as someone in Arizona may wish to comment.

Glyn Davies,  Ashburton, Devon. UK