From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 02:10:00 GMT
DP>From: Derk Phelps <[log in to unmask]>
  >Date:         Thu, 17 Apr 1997 21:00:02 -0700
  >Subject:      Corn Syrup - Define

DP>Could anyone please give me the final say on corn syrup? How is it
  >classified and what type is best for bee feed?  Diluting concentrate,
  >using straight?  Whats best?

All the major sugar companies have technical departments and are for the
most part well versed on the use of HFC syrups for bee feed. I would
direct my questions to them. The choice is usually between feeding a
blend or the real stuff. Some beekeeper use one type in the spring and a
different in the fall. You can always cut HFC with H2O, but then the
bees have to work that much more removing the moisture you added. In any
case the bees will add or remove moisture according to their own
plans.

One trick that I do recommend is to add one 6.4 oz package of TM for
every 50 gallons of syrup if you have anyway to incorporate it into the
sugar. A paddle or pump could be used if one is not built into your
storage tank. It is a very cheep way to knock out some nasty bee keeping
problems such as EFB or AFB and you will also get more brood for each
gallon of syrup you feed increasing the value of the bee feed many
times over the cost of the TM.

DP>We have been using granulated sugar syrup and now have access to some
  >corn syrup.

**WARNING** Corn syrup is never good bee feed as it contains sugars
and other things that bees can not digest and will bind them up into a
knot if you know what I mean. But I assume you are talking about High
Fruitose Corn Syrup, or HFC, or HFCS.. that is a different product
from corn syrup and used by beekeepers coast to coast for many years
without any problems as long as they do not fall for some cheep deal's
offered by some that are off grade. In that case don't be surprised if
your bees go down hill or even die.

I am sure once you use HFC you will not go back to granulated sugar in
any form. The big difference can bee seen in your bee hives as they will
expand much faster, bee healthier, and use less sugar in total because
with HFC they are not burned out inverting the sugar into a useable
product. You should also find the cost lower at this time I am told that
there is a glut of production in excess of the market.

DP>We run about 350 colonies.

I would look for a beekeeper in your area that is buying product by the
tanker load and make arrangements with him. Some bee supply dealer's
like DADANT'S in Fresno, Ca and other areas have tanks set up and will
pump it into your own small tanks or 55 gal drums. Sugar delivery
companies do make less then full load deliveries but charge the going
rate on a full load. Some company's will split a load, much depends on
the beekeepers relationship with the sugar and transportation company.
Some beekeepers have their own tankers and pick the syrup up at the
bulk sugar plants.

For technical specification on sugars, uses, different types and blends
you should contact your local sugar company, all have technical
departments that are more then happy to help beekeepers, if not find one
that does.
                        ttul, the OLd Drone

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.

---
 ~ QMPro 1.53 ~ ... What is not good for the swarm is not good for the be