From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:40:34 -0700
I guess the cat is out of the bag.

We have been developing these giant bees in secret and had planned to
reveal them shortly, however it is obvious that they must have swarmed when
the temperature got up around freezing in January and it looks like one
swarm stayed fairly close to home and only went to Vancouver Island.
However, the one that got to the East Coast made a more typical migration.

Actually, I think the ones on the Island are probably hybrids, since the
pure strain does not make comb, but rather puts the honey directly into
drums.

Usually we try to control swarming by putting on several more drums on each
hive January the first, but it was an early season, so were too busy
they swarmed.

Some of you may have noticed that the world price of honey has slackened a
bit recently.  That is no doubt due to the fact that some speculators have
caught wind of the production potential of these new bees, and are now
driving the price down in anticipation of a glut.

Since the secret is now out, we invite all to come and see these
magnioficent bees during our open house.  However you'll have to hurry; we
are only showing off these hives until noon today  - Tuesday April 1st.