From:
"Joel W. Govostes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 08:52:00 -0500
>I would be very grateful if anybody can list the properties of the "Table
>Honey" or honey that is considered as table grade.
>
>Nik.

I'm not sure, but can offer the following observations:

Goldenrod (/aster) honey as we in the northeastern USA often obtain from
autumn flowers is NOT considered "table grade."  Yet I have been meeting
customers for many years who would have nothing else on their table!  I
recall many elderly folks back in New England who had a real penchant for
the amber autumn honey, and there are still some here and there who want
buckwheat and nothing else! So it really depends.

It's curious that beekeepers always seem to prize the light-hued honeys.
(After all, they obtain the best price per pound, usually.)  But if you ask
honey users, you may be surprised to find out that they really prefer the
darker stuff.  They seem to figure out that often, it has the robust
flavors they love.

I even know experienced beekeepers in this area who will blend some of the
amber or reddish honeys with the coveted "light amber" or "white" crop,
just to make it more attractive to the customers!  At the same time other
beekeepers moan about never having enough light honey...  Maybe it isn't
always more valuble after all.

In any case, it IS interesting to note that, very often, once customers try
the local honey, of whatever variety, they never go back to the grocery
stores' "clover" honey.   For them, it is far too bland!

J. Govostes           Freeville,   NY    USA