HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:48:32 -0400
In a message dated 4/21/99 4:33:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< He claims that this is by intent, that there is something of a scholarly
trend in which authors are now consciously choosing to write densely in order
to make the reader pay more attention or something like that. >>

In that case, Geoff does get to blame it on Foucault. I think it is utter BS.
It seems to me that people use academeze because 1. They want to sound like
they know more than they do, 2. They want to sound like they know more than
you do, and 3. They want to make their writing exclusive and inaccessible to
all but those they believe are on their level.

Michelle Schohn
Dept. of Anthropology
University of South Carolina