HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Homer Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 09:42:47 MST
Finding evidence of criminal activity can be difficult, I think. One problem I c
an see would be to decipher whether what you are seeing is a crime or an act of
war. Human remains may be one of the best sources of information on suspected cr
iminal behavior.

 An example is:

Ferguson, Bobbie H.
  1993  And they Laid them to rest in the Little Plt Besides the Pecos: Final Re
port on the Relocation of Old Seven Rivers Cemetery, Eddy County, New Mexico. Bu
reau of Reclamation, Denver, Colorado.

Several of the burials had evidence of violence. Example (p. IV-64): "There is a
 circular hole near the angle of the left mandible which approximates the diamet
er of a piece of shot recovered with this burial."  Historical records discuss h
ow this individual had been shot. There are several other burials from this ceme
tery that were murdered.

Excavations at the Bighorn Battlefield (also known as the Custer Battlefield) un
covered evidence of warfare-induced trauma on several of the soldiers. I think t
he lead author on the report is Douglas Scott.

Check the physical anthropology journals over the last ten years. Someone once r
eported on purported skeletal evidence for rape in one of them.

In Arizona, I excavated portions of two jails in Tucson (the 1881 County and the
 1883 City Jails). The portions we studied would have been impossible to interpr
et as jails, although we did find one of the cell padlocks lying in the demoliti
on debris.

Homer Thiel
Tucson, Arizona