HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mike Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 19:36:47 -0700
I've also detected an increase in UCE--unsolicited commercial email--in
recent months.  I lurk on several lists and read a few Usenet newsgroups, but
post to lists and newsgroups rather infrequently.

I almost always take the time to respond by telling the sender of the UCE
that I don't want any more email from them and cc their postmster.  As Lenny
points out, however, the email spammers are getting more sophisticated about
concealing their real address, so I find that my protests are increasingly
bouncing back as undeliverable.

If you accept the point of view that computers meet the definition of fax
machines, then it is illegal to send unsolicited commercial email to a computer
(U.S. Code 47, Sec 227, or so I've read).

Mike Jacobs

- Archaeological Collections Curator                          -
- Arizona State Museum  *    Tel:   520.621.6312, 621.4609    -
- University of Arizona *    Fax:   520.621.2976              -
- P.O. Box 210026       *    email: [log in to unmask] -
- Tucson, AZ 85721-0026                                       -