HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"R.L. Reno" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 19:02:39 -0700
Camels were indeed used for a while in Nevada for purposes such as hauling
salt to the Comstock.  The modern camel races are held in Virginia City,
Nevada in an arena that demolished all too much of the historic town's
archaeology including a large portion of the Chinese quarter.  As a
resident of Silver City (a couple miles downstream from VC) for many years,
although I have seen almost daily dog/car races I have yet to see a camel
race in this town.

Ron Reno