HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anne Bickford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:25:00 +1000
Susan, I have been on the net to Cheryl Classen. I enclose her latest
email. She is really interested in coming here. Would you be able to get
her to give a seminar and introduce her to people in Vic interested in
shell middens? Was she one of the people on your good! list? A

FROM CC:
Oh my.  Thanks for all your thoughts on my behalf.  I am not involved in
CRM.  I actually have 3 books out on archaeology and gender, Exploring
Gender through Arch. was the first one, Women in Archaeology, the second,
and just out is Women in Prehistory: North American and Mesoamerica which
I have co-edited with Rosemary Joyce.  There are some interesting
observations emerging about settlement patterns, site catchment theory,
and explorations of agency which I could talk about.  I have also given
papers on the idea of egalitarianism, on homophobia's impact on women
entering the pprofession, on women's time allocation/labor in
mid-holocene, and on the use of black women to excavate 4 sites during the
1930s.(US)
   I finish field school obligations June 20th.  I work on shell bearing
sites and would like to see some of those and meet with people working on
such sites.  I would also like to buy some central desert
paintings/canvases, x-ray, dot.   Oh my this sounds like I might actually
do this!  The only archaeologists I know are Sandra Bowdler and Wendy
Beck,both about equally well, which is not well at all.  I am writing a
book for the Cambridge manual series on shells for the archaeologist, and
I sing Betty Meehan's praises throughout--I'd like to meet her for sure.

You may have talked me into this.  So let's keep talking.  Where would I
fly into? If someone is driving half way across the country to get to the
conference I might be up for that too.  I am going to send this message
and then reread yours.  Let me know if any of my presentation topics would
qualify for your $$ or if there is a different topic suggest it.

Cheryl Claassen